WE NEED YOU ON TUESDAY – 716 – @ 1PM.
There is a VERY important community input meeting where we need supporters to stand up and speak in favor of supporting a stronger downtown campus. We need all hands on deck for this.
If you cannot attend – we are urging you to write a letter and send it to your common council members, Governor Cuomo and ECC. Any questions – Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Buffalo Contact Info: http://preservationready.org/Resources/BuffaloCommonCouncil
Quick ECC Talking Points:
- With 47% of ECC Students coming from Buffalo, the City Campus should be the only place where a new building gets built.
- Currently the City Campus only serves 25% of the entire campus, which is not enough!
- Space isn’t an issue – the County purchased several vacant lots downtown for the expansion of ECC City back in the 2000’s.
- The proposed $30 Million dollar STEM building has 8 or 10 programs that are NOT STEM related. This is a disquise for ECC to get the building they want put in Amherst.
- Our smart growth legislation sign in 2011 says that continued support for Sprawl is not allow. THIS IS SPRAWL.
- This is segregation by design. The City Campus will now have “workforce development and GED” programs while North Campus in Amherst has the degrees that will move towards a 4 year degree.
- A trip to North Campus from Buffalo’s West Side requires 2 buses and takes one hour each way. With over 30% of the City of Buffalo without an automobile, ECC should be expanding downtown – where we have over 30 bus lines that feed into downtown!
Here is the common council agendahttp://www.ci.buffalo.ny.us/files/1_2_1/CommitteeMeetings/Meetings2013/CD2013-0716.pdf
You can read the study report that EASILY justifies the need for downtown development over Amherst here: http://www2.erie.gov/environment/sites/www2.erie.gov.environment/files/uploads/24%20May%202013%20ECC%20Program%20Needs%20Analysis%20and%20Space%20Utilization%20Assessment.pdf
Here are some older articles for you:
|Bernice, Greg and Jim meet with Council Member Pridgen and Former County Ex. Joel Giambra about ECC.|