My Opinion on the Occupy Buffalo / Occupy Wall Street Movement

If you do not have a twitter or facebook, I strongly urge you to get one.The news just isn’t covering all that needs to be heard about this movement.

Today, Boston had a 10,000 person march on Congress street. They marched and shut down the interstate.This morning, I saw about 10 people camping outside of City Hall in downtown Buffalo “occupying” Niagara Square. This weekend, Buffalo saw over 300 people gather – all organized through online social media. This Saturday, the world will be “occupying” in an attempt to gather across the globe and unite about one issue – the 1% hold more power than the other 99% because of their wealth and now finally, the 99% are taking a stand.

Many stories of the 99% vary from health care issues with no money to take care of them, outrageously high student loan debt , outcry of being unemployed or under employed, spending billions on a war.. there are so many issues but they all are equally important and all represent what 99% of America is feeling. There is no way to disregard what the 99% are saying because their issues are REAL and everyone can empathize with them. We know the issues exist but we have continued to ignore how large the issue has become – UNTIL NOW.

Check this blog for examples/updates.

Here is my story:

I am one of the lucky ones. I have a job that pays me decent (under 35K though!) and they include health care benefits. I don’t have the ability to save much and when my student loans kick in in December, I will be hurting to save anything because 25K in debt is hard to pay off quickly. I don’t want to live that way. I hope to remain healthy because I cannot afford to not be. I want to be able to afford to save to buy a house but cannot. And as for kids, I would never raise them in the current environment and economy. Its far too stressful for me and I don’t want to worry about someone else. I am one of the LUCKY  99%.

Lastly, I had the opportunity to go to the Occupy Buffalo movement at City Hall this weekend and here are some of the photos I took.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s